Saturday, June 28, 2008

Celaque . . . finally!

For my birthday, my friend Rachel and I went up Celaque, the tallest mountain in Honduras. We did an 8 hour hike (10 hours in total including the trek up to the Visitor’s Center) and reached the second highest peak on Celaque, at 2,300 meters. Because we went a few days after Hurricane Alma hit, it was VERY wet and slippery. I ended up falling twice and we were stumped for about 20 minutes when we had to cross a part of the river that had risen so high we couldn’t find a way across. Here are some photos of the hike.


The start of the trail, the water was soooo high!




Rachel and me


The view at 2,300 meters


Me


Strange plant


Taking a break


Crazy vegetation!


Crossing bridge on the way back


Visitor Center in construction, a wall made form plastic bottles. Yay recycling!


Worker making wall from bottles filled with sand


A large grasshopper on our hotel door

No comments: