Friday, May 29, 2009

Carnaval in La Ceiba

La Ceiba, "the girlfriend of Honduras" has a festival every year called "Carnaval". It's pretty much Honduras' version of Mardi Gras. But after seeing the photos in the newspaper of it last year, I was determined to go this year. I went with Vanessa, her boyfriend Chad, and a few of the guys from my group and we stayed in a hostel pretty close to the action. But there were loads of other volunteers there. I guess 200,000 people come to this festival where there are live concerts on every block, a parade, and all kinds of shopping. During the parade they throw out beads to the crowd. Vanessa and I had a contest on who could get the most. She beat me by one! (She got nine and I got eight.) Here are some photos of the fun!


Vanessa and I getting ready at the hotel href="https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEhvefGeqx9rTy4X4QmWLp2XbbXTm06HsEDuWWekfxVr4DZlBj0ndGhkDeW8cyKD7JRjb17LbV2_0ZBiTzA7FQ64REgAuWQWhtOwiWRqrRGvnKKwqCzKlREf5w2KNXQ1KnOz55BXRUI5tQ4/s1600-h/IMG_4528.JPG">
Chad, Charlie, and I


The parade!


More of the fun


People from the balconies were throwing out money and beads


A father and his daughter enjoying the festivities


A float


Even the presidential candidate Pepe Lobo had a float


Late night snack

No comments: