Saturday, May 2, 2009

An April Adventure


The one and only main road in Utila
Semana Santa (Holy Week) is one of the biggest holidays in Honduras so we volunteers get a few days off as well. Susan (my travel buddy to Guatemala) and I were ready for another short escape. So for the week, we went to one of the bay islands on the North Coast of Honduras called Utila. Utila is smaller than Roatan and a little less touristy so a lot more affordable than the bigger island. Utila is also one of the cheapest places in the world where you can get scuba dive certified. For $250 (including lodging), Susan and I took a three-day class and got certified to 18 meters!

Arriving to Utila!


Beach volleyball at the hostel

Getting used to being around Americans, Europeans, and other international people in general was rough for us in the beginning. Susan and I were used to going to bed at 9 pm and all of a sudden we are sharing rooms with people that don’t even get up until 4 pm to start their day! I definitely felt awkward and a little out of place in the night scene and was caught off guard when I heard people being openly rude or impatient to others during the day. That was quite shocking coming from a village of humble campesinos that would never treat people with a lack of respect that I saw some treating others. We were also surprised to find that even though it only takes about 45 minutes to walk from one side of the island to the next, there was a HUGE amount of traffic! It seems that everyone had a motorcycle, golf cart, or even a pick-up, and there’s only one road! Watching the cars try to weave in and out of the people and the other traffic made me wonder how people could think that was more convenient that walking? Or at least get a bike!

The bar at our hostel was packed every night with the same night owls. Drinking every night?! And I used to be like that??!! Utila was beautiful and, to our surprise, very affordable! It was fun walking around town and the scenery was amazing. I got tan, too! Although everyone back in Nueva Esperanza told me I looked “quemada” (burnt) and that they thought my whiter (more pallid, pasty) skin was prettier. Everyone here dreams of being white. <>


Susan and me on one of the only beaches


Buying jewelry from the local artists. (Possible pottery market?)


Celebrating getting diver certified!


Getting the wet suits on


Susan and I heading home after a dive


On the dive boat

No comments: